Pages

Monday, August 09, 2010

Bumpy Road and a little Rock

My pregnancy was a lot more interesting than I expected. Several things changed during those nine months and it wasn't just because of the baby growing within me. Here are some of them: found out of pregnancy while out of state, evicted from apartment in MO, lived in tent/car, moved to VA, lived in car again after dispute with family, husband lost job, moved to KY where husband found another job. I know it isn't a very in-depth description of what all happened, but it seems like so much when I try to type it out. All in all it was a pretty bumpy experience as my baby bump grew…


Anyway, I had seen several doctors during my pregnancy and explained to each one that I didn't want to know the gender of my child until he/she was born. I got pretty much the same reaction, "really, it isn't very often you hear that these days" (or something similar).

So onto the part where my son gets the name Rock...

On our way to Kentucky I was very pregnant and we still hadn't settled on any baby names. We had the first name pretty much decided but middle names were a different issue. We wanted something that sounded natural but I hated was against most of the names my husband suggested. We stopped the conversation with Lavender for a girl and Rock for a boy, though I wasn't quite convinced.

We arrived at the house and my husband, brother in law, and I looked around at all the damage the previous tenants had caused (though that isn't really part of this story.) I was kind of haphazardly looking because it was already decided that this was where we were going to live, whether I liked it or not. So I just followed along and pretended to pay attention. I finally decided to open just one cabinet in the kitchen. In that cabinet there was a dog tag that had a large R on it. Under the 'r' was written, you guessed it, "rock." It also had Psalm 18:2 on it and we were instantly sure that 'if' we had a boy his name would be Rock.

This dog tag became another token of what God was doing in our lives.







For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; 
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock
Psalm 27:5

Our little Rock

1 comment:

  1. That is such an amazing story on how you cam to your sons name! It always amazes me that when you're unsure of something, there's always a sign that encourages you to the right direction or show;s you that you're not alone!

    I had something similar happen to me when I was admitted to the hospital to have my son. I had preeclampsia and was air lifted to another hospital with a NICU . The room I was put in before I had him and where I went the day after I gave birth was room 22 which was my grandmothers lucky number. Her number always shows up for us during times of challenge, and it is always a huge comfort to us knowing she is always protecting us!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think :)